Marmaduke Pickthall, The Meaning of The Glorious Koran. An Explanatory Translation (1930)
Al-Insân or Ad-Dahr is, in either case, so called from a word in the first verse.
An early Meccan Sûrah.
“Time” or “Man”
1. Hath there come upon man (ever) any period of time in which he was a thing unremembered?
2. Lo! We create man from a drop of thickened fluid to test him; so We make him hearing, knowing.
3. Lo! We have shown him the way, whether he be grateful or disbelieving.
4. Lo! We have prepared for disbelievers manacles and car cans and a raging fire.
5. Lo! the righteous shall drink of a cup whereof the mixture is of water of Kafur,
6. A spring wherefrom the slaves of Allah drink, making it gush forth abundantly,
7. (Because) they perform the vow and fear a day whereof the evil is wide-spreading,
8. And feed with food the needy wretch, the orphan and the prisoner, for love of Him,
9. (Saying): We feed you, for the sake of Allah only. We wish for no reward nor thanks from you;
10. Lo! we fear from our Lord a day of frowning and of fate.