Marmaduke Pickthall, The Meaning of The Glorious Koran. An Explanatory Translation (1930)
Al-Leyl takes its name from a word in verse 1.
A very early Meccan Sûrah.
1. By the night enshrouding
2. And the day resplendent
3. And Him Who hath created male and female,
4. Lo! your effort is dispersed (toward divers ends).
5. As for him who giveth and is dutiful (toward Allah)
6. And believeth in goodness;
7. Surely We will ease his way unto the state of ease.
8. But as for him who hoardeth and deemeth himself independent,
9. And disbelieveth in goodness;
10. Surely We will ease his way unto adversity.
11. His riches will not save him when he perisheth.
12. Lo! Ours it is (to give) the guidance
13. And lo! unto Us belong the latter portion and the former.
14. Therefor have I warned you of the flaming Fire
15. Which only the most wretched must endure,
16. He who denieth and turneth away.
17. Far removed from it will be the righteous
18. Who giveth his wealth that he may grow (in goodness),
19. And none hath with him any favour for reward,
20. Except as seeking (to fulfil) the purpose of his Lord Most High.
21. He verily will be content.