Marmaduke Pickthall, The Meaning of The Glorious Koran. An Explanatory Translation (1930)
Ash-Shams takes its name from a word in verse 1.
A very early Meccan Sûrah.
1. By the sun and his brightness,
2. And the moon when she followeth him,
3. And the day when it revealeth him,
4. And the night when it enshroudeth him,
5. And the heaven and Him who built it,
6. And the earth and Him who spread it,
7. And a soul and Him who perfected it
8. And inspired it (with conscience of) what is wrong for it and (what is) right for it.
9. He is indeed successful who causeth it to grow,
10. And he is indeed a failure who stunteth it.
11. (The tribe of) Thamûd denied (the truth) in their rebellious pride,
12. When the basest of them broke forth
13. And the messenger of Allah said: It is the she-camel of Allah, so let her drink!
14. But they denied him, and they hamstrung her, so Allah doomed them for their sin and rased (their dwellings).
15. He dreadeth not the sequel (of events).