Marmaduke Pickthall, The Meaning of The Glorious Koran. An Explanatory Translation (1930)
8. As it would burst with rage. Whenever a (fresh) host is flung therein the wardens thereof ask them: Came there unto you no warner?
9. They say: Yea, verily, a warner came unto us; but we denied and said: Allah hath naught revealed; ye are in naught but a great error.
10. And they say: Had we been wont to listen or have sense, we had not been among the dwellers in the flames.
11. So they acknowledge their sins; but far removed (from mercy) are the dwellers in the flames.
12. Lo! those who fear their Lord in secret, theirs will be forgiveness and a great reward.
13. And keep your opinion secret or proclaim it, lo! He is Knower of all that is in the breasts (of men).
14. Should He not know what He created? And He is the Subtile, the Aware.
15. He it is Who hath made the earth subservient unto you, so walk in the paths thereof and eat of His providence. And unto Him will be the resurrection (of the dead).
16. Have ye taken security from Him Who is in the heaven that He will not cause the earth to swallow you when lo! it is convulsed?
17. Or have ye taken security from Him Who is in the heaven that He will not let loose on you a hurricane? But ye shall know the manner of My warning.
18. And verily those before them denied, then (see) the manner of My wrath (with them)!
19. Have they not seen the birds above them spreading out their wings and closing them? Naught upholdeth them save the Beneficent. Lo! He is Seer of all things.
20. Or who is he that will be an army unto you to help you instead of the Beneficent? The disbelievers are in naught but illusion.