M. H. Shakir, The Holy Quran; Arabic Text and English Translation; Foot-notes by M. H. Shakir (1974)
The Elephant (Fil)
1. Have you not considered how your Lord dealt with the possessors of the elephant?
2. Did He not cause theii' war to end in confusion,
3. And send down (to prey) upon them birds in flocks,
4. Casting them against stones of baked clay,
5. So He rendered them like straw eaten up?
1. For the protection of the Qureaish —
2. Their protection during their trading caravans in the winter and the summer —
3. So let them serve the Lord of this House,
4. Who feeds them against hunger and gives them security against fear.
The Daily Necessaries (Maun)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, The Merciful.
1. Have you considered him who calls the judgment a lie?
2. That is the one who treats the orphan with harshness,
3. And does not urge (others) to feed the poor.