M. H. Shakir, The Holy Quran; Arabic Text and English Translation; Foot-notes by M. H. Shakir (1974)
3. That is because they believe, then disbelieve, so a seal that is set upon their hearts so that they do not understand.
4. And when you see them, their persons will please you, and if they speak, you will listen to their speech; (they are) as if they were big pieces of wood clad with garments;* they think every cry to be against them. They are the enemy, therefore beware of them; may Allah destroy them, whence are they turned back?
5. And when it is said to them: Come, the Apostle of Allah will ask forgiveness for you, they turn back their heads and you may see them turning away while they are big with pride.
6. It is alike to them whether you beg forgiveness for them or do not beg forgiveness for them; Allah will never forgive them; surely Allah does not guide the transgressing people.
7. They it is who say: Do not spend upon those who are with the Apostle of Allah untill they break up. And Allah’s are the treasures of the heavens and the earth, but the hypocrites do not understand.
8. They say: If we return to Medina, the mighty will surely
* The hypocrites now call themselves intellectuals.