M. H. Shakir, The Holy Quran; Arabic Text and English Translation; Foot-notes by M. H. Shakir (1974)
when you were nothing.
10. He said: My Lord! give me a sign. He said: Your sign is that you will not be able to speak to the people three nights while in sound health.
11. So he went forth to his people from his place of worship, then he made known to them that they should glorify (Allah) morning and evening.
12. O Yahya! take hold of the Book with strength, and We granted him wisdom while yet a child,
13. And tenderness from Us and purity, and he was one who guarded (against evil),
14. And dutiful to his parents, and he was not insolent, disobedient.
15. And peace on him on the day he was born, and on the day he dies, and on the day he is raised to life.
16. And mention Marium in the Book when she drew aside from her family to an eastern place;
17. So she took a veil (to screen herself) from them; then We sent to her Our spirit, and there appeared to her a well-made man.
18. She said: Surely I fly for refuge from you to the Beneficent God, if you are one guarding (against evil).