M. H. Shakir, The Holy Quran; Arabic Text and English Translation; Foot-notes by M. H. Shakir (1974)
The Israelites (Bani-Israel)
In the name of Allah, the beneficent, the merciful.
1. Glory be to Him Who made His servant to go on a night from the Sacred Mosque to the remote mosque of which We have blessed the precincts, so that We may show to him some of Our signs; surely He is the Hearing, the Seeing.*
2. And We gave Musa the Book and made it a guidance to the children of Israel, saying: Do not take a protector besides Me;
3. The offspring of those whom We bore with Nuh: surely he was a grateful servant.
4. And We had made known to the children of Israel in the Book: Most certainly you will make mischief in the land twice, and most certainly you will behave insolently with great insolence.
5. So when the promise for the first of the two came, We sent over you Our servants, of mighty prowess, so they went to and fro among the houses, and it was a promise to be accomplished.
6. Then We gave you back the turn to prevail against them,
* The ayat refers to the Holy prophet’s Meraj on 27th Rejab, in which night, he was bodily carried upon a heavenly Buraq, through the seven heavens and to the very presence of Allah.