M. H. Shakir, The Holy Quran; Arabic Text and English Translation; Foot-notes by M. H. Shakir (1974)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
1. Alif Lam Ra. (This is) a Book which We have revealed to you that you may bring forth men, by their Lord’s permission from utter darkness into light — to the way of the Mighty, the Praised One,
2. (Of) Allah, Whose is whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth; and woe to the unbelievers on account of the severe chastisement,
3. (To) those who love this world’s life more than the hereafter, and turn away from Allah’s path and desire to make it crooked; these are in a great error.
4. And We did not send any apostle but with the language of his people, so that he might explain to them clearly; then Allah makes whom He pleases err and He guides whom He pleases, and He is the Mighty, the Wise.
5. And certainly We sent Musa with Our communications, saying: Bring forth your people from utter darkness into light