M. H. Shakir, The Holy Quran; Arabic Text and English Translation; Foot-notes by M. H. Shakir (1974)
The Cow (Baqarah)
1. Alif Lam Mim.*
2. This Book, there is no doubt in it, is a guide to those who guard (against evil).
3. Those who believe in the ghaib** and keep up prayer and spend out of what We have given them.
4. And who believe in that which has been revealed to you and that which was revealed before you and they are sure of the hereafter.
5. These are on a right course from their Lord and these it is that shall be successful.
6. Surely those who disbelieve it being alike to them whether you warn them, or do riot warn them, will not believe.
7. Allah has set a seal upon their hearts and upon their hearing and there is a covering over their eyes, and there is a great punishment for them.
- And there are some people who say: We believe in Allah
* Many surahs begin with letters of the Arabic alphabet. They indicate some mystic words of truth, beyond the understanding of the people except the Holy Prophet and 12 Apostolic Imams.
** Al-ghaib means the unseen, auch as the existence of Allah, angels, Jinns, hell, heaven and the twelfth Apostolic Imam Muhammad Mehdi, who is living, but ghaib and who will reappear just before the Day of Resurrection.