Marmaduke Pickthall, The Meaning of The Glorious Koran. An Explanatory Translation (1930)
Al-Humazah takes its name from a word in verse 1. The idolaters waylaid all newcomers to Mecca and warned them against the Prophet, in order to prevent their listening to his preaching.
An early Meccan Sûrah.
1. Woe unto every slandering traducer,
2. Who hath gathered wealth (of this world) and arranged it.
3. He thinketh that his wealth will render him immortal.
4. Nay, but verily he will be flung to the Consuming One.
5. Ah, what will convey unto thee what the Consuming One is!
6. (It is) the fire of Allah, kindled,
7. Which leapeth up over the hearts (of men).
8. Lo! it is closed in on them
9. In outstretched columns.