Marmaduke Pickthall, The Meaning of The Glorious Koran. An Explanatory Translation (1930)
At-Tîn, “The Fig,” takes its name from a word in verse 1. The sense is mystical, referring to man in relation to the revealed Law of God and His judgment.
A very early Meccan Sûrah.
1. By the fig and the olive,
2. By Mount Sinai,
3. And by this land made safe;
4. Surely We created man of the best stature
5. Then We reduced him to the lowest of the low,
6. Save those who believe and do good works, and theirs is a reward unfailing.
7. So who henceforth will give the lie to thee about the judgement?
8. Is not Allah the most conclusive of all judges?