Marmaduke Pickthall, The Meaning of The Glorious Koran. An Explanatory Translation (1930)
Saba, “Sheba,” takes its name from v. 15 ff., where Sheba (Saba), a region in the Yaman, is mentioned as having been devastated by a flood. It warns of the effects of luxury.
An early Meccan Sûrah.
1. Praise be to Allah, unto Whom belongeth whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. His is the praise in the Hereafter, and He is the Wise, the Aware.
2. He knoweth that which goeth down into the earth and that which cometh forth from it, and that which descendeth from the heaven and that which ascendeth into it. He is the Merciful, the Forgiving.
3. Those who disbelieve say: The Hour will never come unto us. Say: Nay, by my Lord, but it is coming unto you surely. (He is) the Knower of the Unseen. Not an atom’s weight, or less than that or greater, escapeth Him in the heavens or in the earth, but it is in a clear Record,
4. That He may reward those who believe and do good works. For them is pardon and a rich provision.
5. But those who strive against Our revelations, challenging (Us), theirs will be a painful doom of wrath.
6. Those who have been given knowledge see that what