M. H. Shakir, The Holy Quran; Arabic Text and English Translation; Foot-notes by M. H. Shakir (1974)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
1. Surely We sent Nuh to his people, saying: Warn your people before there come upon them a painful chastisement.
2. He said: O my people! Surely I am a plain warner to you:
3. That you should serve Allah and be careful of (your duty to) Him and obey me:
4. He will forgive you some of your faults and grant you a delay to an appointed term; surely the term of Allah when it comes is not postponed: did you but know!
5. He said: O my Lord! surely I have called my people by night and by day!
6. But my call has only made them flee the more:
7. And whenever I have called them that Thou mayest forgive them, they put their fingers in theirs ears, cover themselves with their garments, and persist and are puffed up with pride:
8. Then surely I called to them aloud:
9. Then surely I spoke to them in public and I spoke to