M. H. Shakir, The Holy Quran; Arabic Text and English Translation; Foot-notes by M. H. Shakir (1974)
people therein prostrate as if they were the trunks of hollow palms.
8. Do you then see of them one remaining?
9. And Firon and those before him and the overthrown cities continuously committed sins.
10. And they disobeyed the Apostle of their Lord, so He punished them with a vehement punishment.
11. Surely We bore you up in the ship when the water rose high,
12. So that We may make it a reminder to you, and that the retaining ear* might retain it.
13. And when the trumpet is blown with a single blast,
14. And the earth and the mountains are borne away and crushed with a single crushing.
15. On that day shall the great event come to pass,
16. And the heaven shall cleave asunder, so that on that day it shall be frail,
17. And the angels shall be on the sides thereof; and above them eight shall bear on that day your Lord’s power.
18. On that day you shall be exposed to view — no secret of yours shall remain hidden.
* The Holy Prophet prayed for Ali that Allah may make him the Retaining Ear. Ali said that he never forgot.