M. H. Shakir, The Holy Quran; Arabic Text and English Translation; Foot-notes by M. H. Shakir (1974)
3. How many did We destroy before them of the generations, then they cried while the time of escaping had passed away.
4. And they wonder that there has come to them a warner from among themselves, and the disbelievers say: This is an enchanter, a liar.
5. What! makes he the gods a single God? A strange thing is this, to be sure!
6. And the chief persons of them break forth, saying: Go and steadily adhere to your gods; this is most surely a thing sought after.*
7. We never heard of this in the former faith; this is nothing but a forgery:
8. Has the reminder been revealed to him from among us? Nay! they are in doubt as to My reminder. Nay! they have not yet tasted My chastisement!
9. Or is it that they have the treasures of the mercy of your Lord, the Mighty, the great Giver?
10. Or is it that theirs is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth and what is between them? Then let them ascend by any means.
11. A host of deserters of the allies shall be here put to flight.
12. The people of Nuh and Ad, and Firon, the lord of spikes,
* Even today the people, who are on the wrong path, say the same thing.