M. H. Shakir, The Holy Quran; Arabic Text and English Translation; Foot-notes by M. H. Shakir (1974)
10. And certainly We gave to Dawood excellence from Us: O mountains! sing praises with him, and the birds;* and We made the iron pliant to him,
11. Saying: Make ample (coats of mail), and assign a time to the making of coats of mail and do good; surely I am Seeing what you do.
12. And (We made) the wind (subservient) to Sulaiman, which made a month’s journey in the morning and a month’s journey in the evening, and We made a fountain of molten copper to flow out for him; and of the jinn there were those who worked before him by the command of his Lord; and whoever turned aside from Our command from among them, We made him taste of the punishment of burning.
13. They made for him what he pleased of fortresses and images, and bowls (large) as watering-troughs and cooking-pots that will not move from their place; give thanks, O family of Dawood! and very few of My servants are grateful.**
14. But when We decreed death for him, naught showed them his death but a creature of the earth that ate away his staff; and when it fell down, the
* Dawood used to recite the Quran so beautifully that the mountains and the birds used to sway with him.
** It is a pity only a few people are grateful to Allah for His favours.