M. H. Shakir, The Holy Quran; Arabic Text and English Translation; Foot-notes by M. H. Shakir (1974)
The Prophets (Anbiya)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
1. Their reckoning has drawn near to men, and in heedlessness are they turning aside.
2. There comes not to them a new reminder from their Lord but they hear it while they sport,
3. Their hearts trifling: and those who are unjust counsel together in secret: He is nothing but a mortal like yourselves; what! will you then yield to enchantment while you see?
4. He said: My Lord knows what is spoken in the heaven and the earth, and He is the Hearing, the Knowing.
5. Nay! say they: Medleys of dreams; nay! he has forged it; nay! he is a poet; so let him bring to us a sign as the former (prophets) were sent (with).
6. There did not believe before them any town which We destroyed; will they then believe?
7. And We did not send before you any but men to whom