M. H. Shakir, The Holy Quran; Arabic Text and English Translation; Foot-notes by M. H. Shakir (1974)
hearts and steady (your) footsteps thereby.
12. When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every finger-tip of them.
13. This is because they acted adversely to Allah and His Apostle; and whoever acts adversely to Allah and His Apostle — then surely Allah is severe in requiting (evil).
14. This — taste it, and (know) that for the unbelievers is the chastisement of fire.
15. O you who believe! when you meet those who disbelieve marching for war, then turn not your backs to them.
16. And whoever shall turn his back to them on that day — unless he turn aside for the sake of fighting or withdraws to a company — then he, indeed, becomes deserving of Allah’s wrath, and his abode is hell; and an evil destination shall it be.
17. So you did not slay them, but it was Allah Who slew them, and you did not smite when you smote (the enemy), but it was